Sharpener #1 - X-Acto School Pro
Purchased in August, this bad boy lasted maybe until October. The kids loved it though. Electric is so much cooler than manual.
Sharpener #2 - Stanford Giant
Once the electric died, I decided to go with an old fashioned on. This was my choice because it was in my closet of left over stuff from when Garey was teaching with me. It lasted until Mid-January.
At this point I was pencil sharpener-less. We went through several handhelds, and there was pencil shrapnel all over the floor. This distressed me greatly. Finally, someone found an extra in the shed or something.
Sharpener #3 & #4 X-Acto KS
We went through two of these in less than a month. The first one died due to miss-use. Colored pencils and pencil sharpeners are not good friends. The gears got gummed up to the point of no repair. The second one lost it's handle within a week and could not be put back together again.
After #4 went, I was done! I was not buying another sharpener until I had done enough research to know it was reliable and would stand the test of at least the rest of the school year. So, I suggested they bring in mechanical pencils, or a handheld sharpener from home. If these suggestions didn't work, I figured they could just gnaw on their pencils to sharpen them.
Finally I purchased Sharpener #5 The Boston Ranger 55
This thing has been a dream. It's so much quieter than the others, and you can't take the shavings collector thing off and sharpen super stubby pencils. That has impacted the social order (the short the pencil you can write with the cooler you are or something), but my life is happier. I actually purchased 2 of them, and now that the first one has made it a month, I figure I'm set for at least the rest of the school year. Huzzah!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment