Friday, April 22, 2011

My Much Needed Get Away to LA

This week was spring break and following true spring break tradition I escaped the fridged north and headed to the warm, sunny south. Melinda and I decided the trip was in order on Wednesday and on Friday morning while we were packing the car we were still without a place to stay. However Sheila called me while I was at school and told us we could stay at her house. So as soon as school was over we were on our way.

How did we spend our time in LA? Well, we went to San Diego on Saturday. I did a session at the temple while Melinda went and visited some of here old mission haunts. After we took pictures at the temple. I was going for spires as horns and ended up with the trees making me look like I have Princess Leia hair. But of course I found that entertaining. :-)
After that we headed down to the renovated Mormon Battalion in Old Town. It is now a completely interactive experience. There are talking pictures (very Hogwarts) and you move from room to room while they tell the story of the Mormon Battalion leaving Iowa, getting outfitted at Fort Leavenworth, the hike, and then the stationing in San Diego. At the end of the tour you can have your picture taken as an honorary member of the Battalion and then email it to yourself. They print it too from a printer hidden in a trunk. :-) Don't we look cool! 

After we got out of the Battalion, we went to the beach by the Hotel del Coronado. Beaches at the fancy places are always nicer than the regular beaches. The sand was whiter and finer than normal and therefore looks better in wedding pictures. The sand felt great between my toes and the ocean water was satisfiably cold. And the sunset was beautiful.


As we exited the beach I saw this lovely street painting. Apparently it's the entrance for the Church of the Beach. Wonder what their Easter services are going to look like this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment