Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Review: My Fake Boyfriend is Better Than Yours

I took advantage of the read-a-thon to read. Yes, I realize that I passed up on a significant amount of "get things done while the kids are busy" time by making that choice, but honestly, I desperately needed to participate in an activity with my students where I didn't need to manage and maintain anything so I could like them again. (5th grade gets drama ridden with friend factions and it wears on my sanity sometimes...) So I picked up My Fake Boyfriend is Better Than Yours and started reading.

As promised, it was filled with tween angst as Tori and her best friend Sienna engaged in a one-upping war with made-up boyfriends. Sadly, Tori's ability to lie so easily about her imaginary life really hit close to home. I have participated in the same behavior, however, everyone knew it was all completely out of my head. I also related to the part where Tori used her knowledge of the Internet to track down the real boy who had her fake boyfriend's name through social networking sites. Yeah... I've done that too. So, in many ways, I felt like I was reading an imaginary autobiography of my life, but it would have covered the years 25-30 instead of two weeks when I was twelve.

With only 178 pages, decent sized type and healthy margins, it was a fast read. The twists and turns were predictable, but the writing style flowed pretty well. Some of my favorite lines were:

"I got a big glob of vampy black [nail polish] on the right shoulder of my shirt in an unfortunate hand-waving/nail-blowing incident."

"It's completely unfair to just hate a person and not tell them."

"This was beginning to feel a little too High School Musical."

"News of my gorgeous famous fake boyfriend spread like mono at a game of Spin the Bottle."

No comments:

Post a Comment