Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday - Only Smart in Application

After decimating my self-esteem yesterday with linear algebra, I decided to leave work relatively early to come home and get more of the class out of the way. Amazingly, the evening didn't end with me breaking out the ice cream. Instead, I opened the book and breathed a sigh of relief when the problems looked like the traditional homework I've always had in math. They had numbers in them, not a whole bunch of words like prove and explain followed by long rows of italicized letters surrounded with mathematical symbols. I did 23 problems, and didn't get a single one wrong. Problem 24 asked for a theoretical explanation, so I stopped to watch NCIS. I was feeling good, and my psychological balance is a little precarious right now anyway. However, based on the data collected tonight, I guess I'm only smart in application, and not theory.

2 comments:

  1. So my failure on my essay against everyone's assurances that I'd do great and am good enough and smart enough means I'm smart in reality and NOT in application?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that means the test is faulty, or the assessment flawed.

    ReplyDelete