- got married,
- helped my 4 step-children accomplish some life goals,
- earned teaching endorsements in math, English, physics and social studies,
- graduated with a masters in interdisciplinary studies,
- survived the COVID pandemic without ever getting COVID (🤞) ,
- experienced the passing of a step-son,
- taught a lot of children math,
- mourned the divisiveness and tribalization of my nation,
- and a lot of other things.
I have avoided posting out of fear. As a step-mom I was afraid of embarrassing or offending my step-kids. As a teacher I was afraid of my students and parents reactions if they knew what I really thought about the world and the people in it. There is always someone who disagrees with you, and as a teacher, that is a scary place to be. So, for several years I have avoided social media of all kind, afraid I would lose my job if I express my opinions in an open forum.
Teachers do not enjoy the freedom of speech. The argument is that teachers are in a position to influence the youth of America in destructive ways - indoctrinating them into whatever it is the parent fears most. So I unplugged from the world and kept my thoughts to myself, a difficult task since I love to give constructive feedback and analysis.
But I am going to reclaim this first amendment freedom and become reacquainted with my voice. I look forward to posting my unique views and experiences. I hope it will be a therapeutic process for me, and a thought provoking experience for my readers.
No comments:
Post a Comment