For years I have been reading LDSMingle profiles of men who say they enjoy camping. Until this week, I didn't realize what that meant. Camping is not simply sleeping in a tent, it's the process of packing up stuff to go into the wilderness and then stay at a campsite and do campy things. I don't think I had ever done this until Girls Camp this year, and I don't like it.
What have I done my whole life? I have slept in tents at campgrounds near places of interest. For example I slept in a tent in the Black Hills and from there explored Jewel Cave, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, the Mammoth Dig Site and a variety of other places. I've slept in a tent at Gettysburg and toured the battle field. I've slept in tents across the state of Wisconsin and toured places of historic interest along with a few tourist traps and drooled outside a bakery I never ate any delicious pastries from.
I am not opposed to sleeping in a tent, but the idea of staying near the tent the entire time with breaks to go on hikes and let nature soak into my soul is just not my idea of a good time. I'm glad I understand the difference, it makes me a better educated Internet dater... Yay me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like camping for two nights. One night isn't worth the effort of getting it all together, and three nights is just too long and you run out of things to do. Thanks for this insight though I wonder that too when men state that on their profile. There's much more to camping than is assumed. To some camping means motel six, others a camp at a campsite near cool places, and others it means pitching a tent wherever and hiking, others bring a whole camper. I've always been a tent camper, but at a campsite near the beach...well until recently, this year was mt timp.
ReplyDelete